Time magazine has done a piece on Rob Bell entitled... The Hipper-Than-Thou Pastor. I just read about it on Andrew Jones' blog. But what has really gotten ahold of my heart today is not the genius of Rob Bell. It is the the beauty of what I see Andrew Jones involved with. I believe he paints a remarkable picture in his meandering thoughts of Bell and Mars Hill...
"I do need to explain that the churches we are starting and encouraging are different animals than Mars Hill. They start small and grow [emerge] in an organic fashion without transfer growth and certainly not with a chunk of people handed over from another church to kick-start them. These churches don't have pastors or paid leaders and they generally don't own buildings but sometimes they do rent space for communal gatherings, or residential communities, or art-space, or business enterprise, but not necessarily a 'worship service'. These groups are usually local, small, integrated in the community [missional], and not always visible to the public as an official group or organization. Their goal is not to attract people to an event but rather to penetrate the community with the love of God and embody the gospel as well as communicate it."
I don't know why I am so captured by this thought, but captured I am.
2 comments:
Brad,
That caught my attention also. I believe Andrew described something that is difficult to define and describe. I was also captured by his words.
very difficult indeed. but andrew certainly is gifted with the ability to put the arduous into words.
Post a Comment