
i've taken a few days off from blogging and participated in some reflection. i never thought i would enjoy the blogging community as much as i do. when i started a blog, it was with the idea of getting some of my thoughts 'out there'. i almost laugh as i'm sitting here in the paperback writer, because of how backwards that seems to me now. blogging has almost immediately become more about learning from others and less about teaching anyone. here are a few of my reflections in regards to my initial blogging experiences.
1. as i've already alluded to, for me, blogging is much more about what i am learning from others and much less about me changing lives.
2. i am much more interested in communicating with others and slowly building relationships, having interactions with, and responding to others than i am intersted in obtaining knowledge.
3. the blogging community has become a seminary experience of sorts for me. with the massive amount of resources, articles, commentary links, scholarly links, etc. that are being discussed, i am learning more now than i ever did in seminary. also, there is a built in discussion group for processing this information. these conversations also force me to apply what i'm learning to my life in practical manners.
4. i am realizing that i need to be much more aware that others have differing views than my own and that i shouldn't be so certain of all my 'positions' theologically. where i used to state my opinions as truth... i'm learning that i need to hold firmly to my beliefs, but not so tightly that i can't let go to grasp something 'more worthy' of holding on to... as i'm often wrong!
these are my initial blogging reflections, roughly written out in a post. if i had one wish for my future blogging interactions, it would be... that i would be less interested in being seen as wise (through comments) and more interested in having conversations for the sake of learning and growing closer to those people in the blogging community.
some people who have greatly influenced my blogging experience so far...
stephen shields @ emergesque
john smulo @ smulospace
rick meigs @ blindbegger
jamie arpin-ricci @ (e)mergentvoyageurs
i realize there are more read and commented blogs out there to refer to. but these people have taken the time for conversation through their comment boards and email, and i value that immensely.
would you care to share a few things you've learned?
12 comments:
I am so glad I have had some positive influence. Thanks for the encouragement and the great blog!
Peace,
Jamie
jamie,
thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment again. keep doing what you do man, its much appreciated.
brad
Thanks for the encouraging plug!
Your journey with blogging reminds me of mine. I started off wanting to share my thoughts, and now I blog for the interaction.
Actually, I think I ask more questions than give answers by a long shot in posts because I enjoy the interaction in comments so much.
most gracious.
john,
agreed my friend, lots of similarities i'm certain. i like that you end your posts with questions. it really invites the reader to participate. thanks for that.
brad
stephen,
thanks for your time in answering my many emails and questions. you have no idea how encouraging it is:)
brad
Brad -
I love reading your posts. You have great thoughts and great questions. I learn something/find my curiosity piqued/want to explore more every time I visit.
For me, the whole blogging thing is simply about thinking out loud. I use it to get my thoughts out on paper (which is how I think best). I haven't really figured out how to get the whole conversation thing going and am not sure I want/have the time to do it anyway. For now, I will participate in your conversations...
Would love to come grab some joe with you at the Paper Writer--looks like my kind of place. Every couple of months, I take a day away to think/ponder/read/pray. Maybe my next one could be there and would could break some bread together??
scott,
come around as often as you like. you are always welcome here (northern neck) and the blog!
i think of our first conversations about spiritual formation down there in lynchburg. we need more of those.
brad
wow, you've definitely turned into quite the blogger. but i do agree - it's great to be able to share our experiences and wrestle with them in this online community. it's weird but at the same time, i like it. and it's good to not hold onto your beliefs too tightly...i have definitely found that to be important as i am exposed to different viewpoints and facts of life. things change. i know God doesn't, but my knowledge and perceptions of Him do as i continue to see a fuller picture of Him as i grow. at least i hope so!
thanks for your call... miss you too
Ah gee Brad, you make me blush :-). Thanks for the encouraging words. Helping each other along is part of what Jesus called us to do. If we can't practice here with each other, how will we do so with our neighbors? Anyhow, always enjoy our conversations.
sarah! thanks for coming by. i follow every post coming from uganda. love it:) praying for you often.
rick,
thanks for coming by and thanks for speaking up. mostly, thanks for your thoughts on your blog.
brad
Post a Comment